Hey, Look! I Made This Thing - The Introduction

Hey kids,
So for the past couple of months I've been on a kick of making my own clothes. A little back story, I've been sewing since I was about 9, but recently had the urge to see if I could make my own clothes after picking up some scrap fabric from a vendor at one of my favorite antique stores to use for a DIY basket purse. Turns out, I really enjoyed the process of making it and love getting good at something again that I can show through wearing the pieces.
Don't get me wrong, the first tops I made turned out kinda rough and lop sided, so I'm considering going back and fixing them. Or even completely remaking one of them since I have another piece of same fabric I used.

So with all of that said, I decided to start documenting it. Here on my blog I'll show pictures of things I've made as well as a simple rating system as to how hard I thought the piece was to make.
My friend Destiny has requested since I started sending her pictures of the things I'm making, to start making videos/tutorials for YouTube. Those may or may not be informative or helpful at all, but hey, more content for the channel right? I'm not promising anything special with those, if anything they will just be super comical for anyone who actually knows anything about what they're doing. But I thought I'd go ahead and announce that I'll be doing those. And they'll probably be titled what this post is titled haha

For a good kick off, this post I'll show a dress that I made. Most all of the clothes that I've been making, I've used a item of clothing I already own as a pattern since I already like how they look/fit. I have branched out a bit and made some things off of tutorials on Youtube.

This first dress is a mimic of a red party dress I wore to my birthday last year. I love this fabric and all around it was pretty simple to make. There were only a 7 pieces in total, and I double layered everything since the fabric was pretty sheer. (Though I recommend double layering everything if you can, I've noticed it lays flatter and all around looks more professional)

The top is the front bit and the two ties are both separate that were sewn to the front. The skirt is two pieces. The front part of the skirt is sewn to the front bodice piece and then the back part of the skirt, only the sides are sewn to the skirt since the back ties together and you need room to actually get in the dress.
I made the mistake of not taking into account that the dress I was mimicking was stretchy and this fabric was not. So once I couldn't get it on I only had one choice.... To cut a vertical line down the back of the skirt and put in a zipper. Oh yes, the dreaded zipper. I tried to avoid zippers for as long as I could, but most the things I make now a days include zippers so I've gotten pretty good at it.

(Also I didn't think about getting a back photo for this dress. Totally slipped my mind. But you'll see the same pattern for a bunch of the tops I have coming soon)

xoxo
-Lux